TOWER LORD by Anthony Ryan

TOWER LORD Anthony Ryan

Following on from 2013′s bestselling epic fantasy debut is the second novel in the Raven’s Shadow series – a powerful epic fantasy from an exciting new British talent.

VALORJohn Gwynne

War has erupted in the Banished Lands as the race for power intensifies. Sides are chosen and oaths will be fulfilled or broken in a land where hell has broken loose.

Author post

The Shreveport Smackdown: The True Story

Shreveport Herald Police Blotter
November 11, 2009

Shreveport police are still sorting through statements after urban fantasists Nicole Peeler and Jaye Wells allegedly attacked one another at their mutual signing, according to witnesses and bookstore staff.

As stated by one bystander, Mary Lois White, also of Shreveport, “It was all going along fine, when suddenly Nicole said something about how vampires are ‘played out,’ and Jaye said, ‘I’ll play you out, you seal-lover,’ and then Nicole told Jaye to ‘Bring it!’ and Jaye grabbed her by the hair.”

hair pulling

“It was brutal,” interrupted White’s husband, Douglas. “She struck like an adder. Nicole didn’t have a chance.”
To add insult to injury, Wells apparently beat Peeler with her own cover art.

cover

While a witness, Jennette Ginsburg, insists that Peeler got her own back with, “a swift punch to [Wells’s] ta-tas,” Barak Shapiro, local weatherman, disagrees:

“Jaye totally let Nicole land one. I think Jaye was just filling up her rage vessel so she could really lay the smack down.”

punchin' the ta-tas

In the end, however, Peeler’s complete lack of scruples turned the tables on Wells. Helen Taylor and Dee Dee Boutwell told police that Peeler apparently swore a truce, apologized to Wells for saying vampires, and especially vampires-mages, were, “big sissy-sisses who have silly-colored hair,” and then offered Wells a cookie.

As soon as Wells accepted both apology and cookie, Peeler struck.

“She gave her the chair! Go Dr. Peeler!” testified Cortney Glover, witness.

the chair

At this point the fight was broken up by staff. Both parties were suitably bloodied, although far from chastened. As they were dragged away by police, Wells threatened to break both Peeler’s legs, while Peeler made fang-gestures at Wells using two fingers waggled in front of her mouth.

When asked to explain his daughter’s behavior, Peeler’s father shrugged and replied, “You can take the girl out of Aurora, but you can’t take Aurora out of the girl.”

about the author

1. Jaye Wells

Jaye Wells

November 11, 2009

The concussion is making me woozy and my attorney instructed me to keep statements brief, but I will say this: Author on author violence is no laughing matter. That said, I’ve got a demon cat who’d like to have a chat with Dr. Peeler.

2. Qwill

November 11, 2009

I would have paid to see this, but I’ll just keep buying both of your books instead. :)

3. Michele Bardsley

November 11, 2009

Please tell me this episode will be on “Cops.” Otherwise I’ll have to resort to YouTube. Hope you got some books signed before the brawl!

4. Moonsanity

November 11, 2009

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Go Nicole! (note to self: when I’m published one day never do a book signing with Nicole Peeler or Jaye Wells.)

5. Super_Bre

November 11, 2009

Can’t believe I missed to rumble!

6. Amber

November 11, 2009

Cookies are always the best way to distract people. Especially if you are getting your ass kicked in the fight. Take any advantages you can of your opponents weaknesses, otherwise you’re screwed.

7. Cortney G.

November 11, 2009

I must say, you chicks are the coolest! I love a good girl-fight with chairs involved! “She gave her the chair! Go Dr. Peeler!” I LOVE IT!

8. Susan at Stony River

November 11, 2009

I’ve *got* to get to more book signings.

9. Jason Evans

Sa-weet!

10. Nicole Peeler

Nicole Peeler

November 11, 2009

Next time, Wells, your ass is grass and I’m a lawnmower.

Okay, I just giggled when I typed that. I need to learn not to giggle when I threaten.

11. Martha Lawson

November 11, 2009

I need to get to some book signings!!

12. Amber

November 11, 2009

Yea, Nicole giggling tends to take the seriousness and believability right out of the threat.

13. Barbara Elness

November 11, 2009

Wow, it looks like you two ladies know how to show your fans a good time, LOL. Not only a book signing, but a smackdown as well – two events at once. Sorry I wasn’t there to witness it.

14. RKCharron

November 16, 2009

Hi Nicole!
    I loved your vlog of Chapter One and this post.
    The pictures are priceless.
    It looks like so much fun!
    I wish I could have been there.
    I posted about your vlog & this post on my blog for Mon Nov 16th.
    I hope you don’t mind.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Love & Best Wishes,
    Rob
    xoxo
    PS – I’m still grinning.

15. Sewicked

November 16, 2009

So if age & cunning wins out over youth & energy…who won?
    *ducks & runs*

16. Cat

November 16, 2009

Well, golly. Author events that I go to are never this exciting. I guess they only let the proper and reserved authors into Montreal. ;)

17. [...] a face-to-face lunch with Ms. Wells, because during my research, I stumbled across reports of her stunningly brutal brawl with fellow Orbit author Nicole Peeler. SB Frank: [sits to order] Out of curiosity, are these violent tendencies something that happen [...]