We released Jaye Wells’ new urban fantasy novel SILVER-TONGUED DEVIL (UK/ANZ/US) this month, and to celebrate this and the fact that there’s a lot of love on the Orbit team for all the urban fantasy heroines out there, we created a quiz to give you the chance to test your knowledge against us!
Can you guess which urban fantasy heroines uttered the quotes below? If you recognise one, comment with the number of the quote and the name of the leading lady who uttered it. Try to be the first to get them right! No googling, because that’s just cheating!
We had a lot of fun coming up with these quotes, and we hope you have fun guessing too . . .
- “I took one more thing to bed with me, a stuffed toy penguin named Sigmund. I don’t sleep with him often, just every once in a while after someone tries to kill me.”
- (“What up, peeps?”) I looked at the hairless cat for a moment. “‘What up, peeps?’ You’ve been watching MTV again, haven’t you?” (“Word.”)
- “If the Apocalypse comes, beep me.”
- “This feels a little bit like what a vampire bar would look like if it were a ride at Disney World.”
- “Another werewolf thing. Like most animals, we spent a large part of our lives engaged in the three Fs of basic survival. Feeding, fighting and… reproduction.”
- “She’s a thousand-year-old vampire who’s joined the cheerleading squad. There’s a whole different set of rules in play here.”
- “So here’s the plan. I’ll get us tickets to New Orleans, we’ll go save the world from abstract evil, and afterward we’ll hang out in the French Quarter for a couple of weeks and blow off steam.”
- “I was dragged through Hell, betrayed by my god, left in Jersey, and finished up nearly being drowned by a demon with a bad haircut.”
- “Lycans are allergic to silver. We have to get the bullets out quickly, or they end up dying on us during questioning.” (“What happens to them afterward?”) “We put the bullets back in.”
- “So in the sweltering heat of a July night, I sang a Christmas carol to a room full of fae, who had been driven out of their homelands by Christians and their cold-iron swords.”
“But the next noise to echo through the hall was one I was pretty sure I recognized. It was the unmistakable sound of the sh*t hitting the fan.”
Clue: There are some TV heroines, some film, and some from novels, both Orbit books and non Orbit books.
EDIT: It’s 26th January 2012 and we’re providing the answers to this quiz, here they are now . . .
1. Anita Blake, of Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels. 2. Sabina Kane (and Giguhl), the vampire (and demon/cat sidekick) of Jaye Wells’ Sabina Kane series. 3. Buffy Summers, from Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 4. Sookie Stackhouse, from the TV series True Blood, based on novels by Charlaine Harris. 5. Elena Michaels, the werewolf from Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld novels. 6. Elena Gilbert, from the TV series The Vampire Diaries, based on novels by L. J. Smith. 7. Jayné Heller, from M. L. N. Hanover’s sequence of novels: The Black Sun’s Daughter. 8. Dante Valentine, from Lilith Saintcorw’s series of the same name. 9. Selene, the vampire star of the Underworld movies. 10. Mercedes Thompson, a werewolf from Patricia Briggs’ Mercy Thompson series. 11. Jane True, the selkie starring in Nicole Peeler’s Jane True series.